Parents and Loved Ones

College life is full of opportunities and excitement, yet challenges and stress are the byproducts. Students at DKU tend to work very hard to achieve both academically and socially, they not only compete with others but also themselves. Therefore, caring about student’s well-being and mental health is the primary mission of CAPS. DKU CAPS offers a variety form of clinical service and activities, so students can ask for help whenever they need to. However, students’ parents and loved ones are also CAPS’ important allies in terms of promoting student’s heathy development.

The connection with loved ones and the comforting home environment are usually the foundation of healing. As parents or loved ones, it can be very helpful to create a relaxing and open space for the student who is in distress. You may need to change the usual way of interacting when being with the student, but in general, accompany with trust, listen without judgement, speak openly and care with honesty are the simple but effective ways to do.

A Simple guide for parents and loved ones:​

  • Make a change
    • It is important to earn the client’s trust and listen to client’s needs
    • Build a new connection with the client by communicating and understanding
  • Take it easy
    • Be calm. Our own worry and anxiety can be a trigger for clients. It is important to notice our own feelings.
    • Clients may have a limited capacity in considering others’ situations since they are in overwhelming struggles themselves.
    • Take care of yourself first. Find your ways to relief your own negative feelings.
  • Ask for help
    • Recognize the limit of your capacity and ask for help when need.
    • Frequently communicate with professionals to better help clients in daily life


I am a parent. Can I know if my kid is receiving any counseling service at CAPS and what he/she/they talk about in therapy?

CAPS deeply understand your concerns about your child’s well-being as a parent, yet CAPS operates under strict laws and professional ethics in order to protect confidentiality. If your child is over 18, CAPS will disclose neither your child’s attendance nor the therapy process unless your child signs a consent form to release information or if there is an emergency. In many cases, students are willing to release their therapy information to parents since they would like their family’s help. If your child is under 18, changes to confidentiality will apply. Please ask CAPS for more information.

I am a student. I started to notice some unusual mood swings on my boyfriend and I am concerned about his psychological well-being. What should I do?

CAPS really appreciate your concerns. Please try to talk to your boyfriend and see if he would like to come to CAPS for an appointment. You can also make a referral for him (see Making a Referral to CAPS hyperlink). However, if there is any sign of risk (e.g. self-harm behaviors, posts on social media, etc), please contact the DKU emergency hotline at 0512-3665-7110.

I am a parent. My child just received a psychiatrist diagnosis. What can I do to help him/her/them?